- there are 2 parties: the Democrats and the Republicans –> in Canada, we have 5 main parties
- the leader runs across all of the states –> in Canada, the leader runs only in his/her riding
- they are choosing their leader of their party right now
- to win the election has to win the states – all states are worth different points depending on size–> In Canada, all our ridings are equal – all ridings are worth 1 seat
- they have a president –> in Canada, we have a prime minister
These are the same things, but they have different names
270 is the magic number – remember this
The green ridings are the states that decide the election. In Canada, we have swing ridings which are very similar to swing states.
Example: In 2000, Florida was a swing state and George Bush beat Al Gore by a few hundred votes. This decided the election even though Al Gore had more votes across the country.
- right leaning party
Now, you are probably thinking, ‘Am I the only person who thinks this guy is crazy?’
Well , No. I am sure lots of people have the same feelings.